I have a confession to make. Last April I had zero interest in blogging.
In fact I though blogging was a complete waste of time and Twitter was a joke.
A land of inflated egos, false hopes and snake oil salesmen.
Little did I know the old web log would alter the course of my life.
Last May I decided I wanted to be a better speech writer and blogging was the answer. I wanted to start speaking about branding and design.
Something else happened that had a much more profound impact on my life.
That same month my father was diagnosed with a terminal illness.
When someone you love has an incurable illness, it changes you profoundly. I’ve written about him here, but today I don’t want to describe how his failing health sent me into a fit of malaise. It did and still does. In this post I want to focus on how my father’s situation revived my spirit for living. He would like that.
I hope you stay with me on this.
His ill health drove me to reassess my life. What was important to me and what I wanted to change.
What was important to me.
Family. My wife and kids. To me, there is nothing in this world that is more important.
Values and living life the right way. Randy said this best. I have a set of values and I’m sticking to them.
What I wanted to change.
To stop saying I was going to do things and start doing them. Life is short, so live it like you mean it. If I say bomb diggity I now mean it. Thanks, Dad.
The “important” part is the way I live my life already. The “change” part would be labor intensive and scary and very uncomfortable, but change is exactly what accelerated my interest in blogging.
And call me silly, but blogging can change your life. It’s sure altered my course.
I was soon dialed in and ready to rock, but I like to plan and do things the right way.
So, where did I start?
1. I sought out the best, from Netsetters to 20 bloggers to watch, I clicked and studied and clicked some more. You know the drill.
Before I knew it, my goal to improve speech writing become something else entirely. I was totally consumed to put it mildly.
Be careful what you wish for, right?
2. I re-booted my Twitter account, so I would actually have a URL when commenting and my fat mug was there for all to see.
3. Commenting terrified me. It did. Honest.
I started adding my two cents and when my comments were answered, I felt like that kid who gets the gold star. Aunt Gini and Uncle Danny kinda rocked my world.
I was soon twitterpatted and thought commenting the best thing since Jello Pudding Pops.
This was a big step, trust me. I’m an introvert, remember.
I also realized I better have a purpose before I start.
4. From May to September I researched, commented, Tweeted like a madman, and researched some more. I met some cool people and was inspired by many.
I also started crafting a humble little blog.
Set. Recalibrate. Roll.
When I finally rolled out post numero uno in September, I had spent about a month writing a mix of posts. Some hit the scrapheap and several I’ve yet to post. But I did start and I am oh so glad I did.
So here I am with a simple little blog that has changed my life. And I do have plans.
In my mind, blogging went from a complete waste of time to life-changing. How’s that for an attitude adjustment?
It’s not just the pursuit of blogging that consumes me.
It’s what it has done for me as:
An accountability platform;
a motivational compass;
a place for creativity and exploration;
a networking village;
and a new business model to alter the course of my life.
Plus it’s Da Bomb! Awesomeness in its purest form.
I do not exaggerate. You’ll see.
So what about you?
I want to know how the act of blogging or social media in general has altered your course. From life-altering to one small shift in direction, I really want to know what Doctor Blog has done for you.
Is your tail still wagging?
What are your big plans for 2012?
Has blogging changed your life?
- Why the Social Web Needs Thought Leaders - August 6, 2014
- Want to Be a Blog Writing Machine? (Give up on Perfection). - July 30, 2014
- Can Social Media Engagement Kill Your Business? - July 23, 2014
- 4 Big Reasons Why Your Small Business Needs Content Marketing Now - July 15, 2014
- Your 3 Step Process to Surviving and Thriving the Fickle Realm of Social Media - July 10, 2014
- How Do You Become a Successful Blogger? (4 Answers that Might Surprise You). - June 26, 2014
- The Beautiful, Empty Cup of Blogging - June 11, 2014
- Why Small Businesses Hate Content Marketing (and What to Do About It) - June 4, 2014
- My Breaking Out Mission (and Why I Need Your Help) - May 28, 2014
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset and What it Means to You - May 21, 2014