You know, clichéd assumptions leading to a boilerplate, colorless you?
Maybe some jerkwad pigeonholes you, immediately.
Or you’re chalked up as one of “those” people.
And remember those all-to-familiar adjectives friends, family, and acquaintances have used to describe you?
I do. And guess what?
For years, I played the game. I either played the part to a tee or went too far against the grain to prove them wrong.
Both are recipes for a train wreck.
1. If you play a part. You’re a marionette. A patsy. A servant never true to yourself.
2. And trying to prove someone wrong is never, ever, not in any way, under any condition, a good reason to make a bold move. Trust me on this.
You? You’re as complex as they come, and don’t let them tell you otherwise. You can ignore or kindly tell them to piss off.
Just remember the immortal words of Tony Montana.
You are not here to simply please those in your space. They can’t define you, ever.
In life. In business. Wherever and whenever.
If you’re …
1. Engaged in the role-playing game, or;
2. Going against the grain, only to prove them wrong …
… you’re living an inauthentic life.
This was me. For most of my life, in fact.
You? You possess strange and wonderful skills.
And I imagine there’s even a little intensity and fire inside.
Yep. You know it.
People have made assumptions about you all along. So what? They always have and they always will, but they can never define you. Not in a bazillion years.
Thing is, you’ve done the same to yourself.
Am I correct?
I sure as hell have.
NOW I have two tasks for you to try:
1. The next time you interact with others, take a moment to play observer of your own actions.
I do this often. Why?
Well, the more you observe, the easier it is to step out of that role-playing game, and your true abilities start to become clearer. It also teaches you the power of silence.
There is true power in this exercise.
2. Think about the impetus for your next move. Every time.
Will you base your next steps on how you’ve operated in the past? How people define you? On how others have “it?”
Or, will you throw something against the almightily wall and see if it sticks? Your way?
You have my permission to go wild and be disruptive.
The two above? They’re more like habits you develop and tweak, daily.
You’ll stop following some old guidebook that is full of bullshit clichés and false assumptions.
And most importantly, you’ll choose your own way. Seize it!
Do me a few favors.
1. Stop defining yourself based on how you think others perceive you.
2. Refuse to be a servant to the past. Simply appreciate the lessons you’ve learned and move on.
3. Ignore the status quo and disrupt daily.
After all, you only have one life and it is YOUR life.
Oh, now I see that fire burning within.
I guess it truly is time to bust a move.
What say you?