What’s the secret to spreading influence, acquiring loyal tribe members and making more than a dent in this third rock from the sun?
Some would have you believe it’s all so simple, and is based on discovering that craving deep inside you.
But many are led on a futile “passion” search, bringing on feelings of defeat. If we’re not enamored by something. If we don’t have a calling, we feel inadequate as mere cogs in an ever-turning monster of a wheel.
I’m not so sure Edison, Tesla or the Wright brothers had passion running through their veins 24/7, but they did possess an unyielding pursuit of something that would ultimately benefit their fellow mortals.
So, don’t get so tripped-up trying to find your passion.
Instead, hunker down and think about mission. Finding how you want to add YOUR contribution in your own little way.
What about YOUR world? Your blog? Your business? Your pursuit of the craft?
How do you bring it and make that brand stick?
It’s impossible to maintain intense love of anything each and every day. I think you would agree with that, yes?
But if you have a purpose, an end-goal and a road map to get there, that’s all the swag you need.
Well, look at it this way: It’s NOT about you.
It’s not about being famous or making your mark.
It is about what you will do for others.
And guess what? You DO need passion. Loving what you do is important, but “mission” makes it oh, so special.
And value infused with focus, tenacity and endurance is some red hot sauce indeed, my friend.
To make a difference. To grow a business. To ultimately do your part and make it count, sure, you need to love the work. Passions are great, but without the work nothing ever comes to fruition. And without purpose you’re a rudderless ship.
Go back to your core. Your reason. Your values.
How are you unique and in what uncommon way can you contribute?
What is your part? Do you know it? If not, it might be time to take a step back and reevaluate.
If you’re following others you’re going down the wrong track.
If you’re looking for rewards, money or recognition you will be sorely disappointed.
Find your own unique path.
Give discomfort a giant bear hug.
Believe and just get busy.
What are you going to do today, tomorrow, next week to make “it” move?
Those baby steps are the only way.
Think of this as your gift to others. A way to spread influence. Then you won’t have to go looking for passion, it will find you.
And guess what?
Your uniqueness. Your value. Your purpose. These things are ultimately stickier than Catchmaster fly tape. Because contribution is king.
Today is day one. Let ‘er rip. You only have so many days on this pale blue dot of ours, so make them count.
Is passion overrated?
Drop some wisdom in the comments below and let me know what you think.
- My 3 Words For 2015 - January 8, 2015
- Want to Change Your Life? (Let’s Start with 5 Regrets.) - September 3, 2014
- Why the Social Web Needs Thought Leaders - August 6, 2014
- Want to Be a Blog Writing Machine? (Give up on Perfection). - July 30, 2014
- Can Social Media Engagement Kill Your Business? - July 23, 2014
- 4 Big Reasons Why Your Small Business Needs Content Marketing Now - July 15, 2014
- Your 3 Step Process to Surviving and Thriving the Fickle Realm of Social Media - July 10, 2014
- How Do You Become a Successful Blogger? (4 Answers that Might Surprise You). - June 26, 2014
- The Beautiful, Empty Cup of Blogging - June 11, 2014
- Why Small Businesses Hate Content Marketing (and What to Do About It) - June 4, 2014