How do you communicate your value to your readers?
I’m talking to you: Writer. Contractor. Artist. Whatever skills you posses, you’re offering up something.
You ARE marketing your content. Even if you say you’re here for shits and giggles you want people to read your stuff, otherwise you wouldn’t be doing this.
You’re marketing your skills and you’re branding your content in some form. And that’s why I asked you about communicating value. That’s effective branding, but today, branding done right usually involves bringing those distinguishing characteristics to the fore.
You know: Being different. Letting originality shine. Being a bit of a rare bird. So, how in the shiznits do you accomplish this?
You could don a clown suit, get five nose rings, tattoo your face like Mike Tyson, or all of the above, but I get the feeling that’s not the real you, right?
Step back and think about the creative souls who are really making a go of this online thing. You know. The mere mortals who are Absofreakinlutely killing it and the web is all abuzz with their latest and greatest.
They must bring some kind of value, right? Either that or they’re fooling the world. But what is the distinctive component that makes their brand stick like Elmers? Keeps the good peeps of planet social coming back? Generates comments and sells widgets?
I’ll give you a second.
Think about how YOU will build a brand that people love. An all around great package that truly attracts John or Jane Q to your blog? Your podcast? Your business?
Exceptional, helpful, actionable content is common sense defined, but weaving in your genuine personality? Ah, there you go.
Yep. That’s how your brand becomes almost irresistible and it is your most sustainable model.
Blogger, small business owner, podcaster, etc. Genuine works.
When it comes to the social web, I’m a glass half full kind of guy and think we are just getting started. The practice we call blogging is just one small step in a long, grand process that rewards ingenuity and individuality, so it will only get better.
1. We’re immersed in a new “tribal” economy. A digital utopia or global village that fosters small online communities and connecting is back in fashion. The gatekeepers are slowly disappearing and a focus on connecting and communities means individuality will simply rock.
2. Transparency. Like it or not, you’re now exposed like never before. You’ve heard of credibility right? Well, it’s a monster in the online space and it’s exactly why the genuine article is such an important component, now more than ever.
You know I shout about personality + value being your golden ticket, right? Well now is your time to really dig in and start building that brand equity, because the models listed above favor uniqueness like never before.
I believe the #1 goal for any budding blogger, entrepreneur, or creative soul trying to stake their claim is, you guessed it, bringing that uniqueness to the front. You can’t fake it forever and you want sustainable, right?
Know your stuff. Have a plan. Be insanely competent.
But most of all be yourself and learn to make that most natural of models work, ’cause it is the best way forward. Learn more by watching this.
Peter Sterlacci was kind enough to have me participate in his 30x30x30 Personal Branding Vlogathon. My video can be found here. I encourage you to check out petersterlacci.com to learn more about his work and the BeYB process.
If you like the video let me know. If you don’t like it or think I should don a clown suit or need a few nose rings, let me know that too. If you have any concerns, questions or would like to discuss anything branding, head on over here and shoot me an email.
- My 3 Words For 2015 - January 8, 2015
- Want to Change Your Life? (Let’s Start with 5 Regrets.) - September 3, 2014
- Why the Social Web Needs Thought Leaders - August 6, 2014
- Want to Be a Blog Writing Machine? (Give up on Perfection). - July 30, 2014
- Can Social Media Engagement Kill Your Business? - July 23, 2014
- 4 Big Reasons Why Your Small Business Needs Content Marketing Now - July 15, 2014
- Your 3 Step Process to Surviving and Thriving the Fickle Realm of Social Media - July 10, 2014
- How Do You Become a Successful Blogger? (4 Answers that Might Surprise You). - June 26, 2014
- The Beautiful, Empty Cup of Blogging - June 11, 2014
- Why Small Businesses Hate Content Marketing (and What to Do About It) - June 4, 2014