How the pull of pleasure can lead to an individual’s downfall.
The discussion included such enlightening topics as heroin addiction. And how comfort seeking sometimes leads to various forms of addiction.
Fun stuff, right?
Then, I thought about the very thin line between “success” and “failure.”
Living comfortably in your own house versus surviving on the street.
Having a business boom or flop.
Letting the daily struggles of life “wash” over you or opening the door to pain and temporarily escaping through pleasure.
Choosing pleasure to avoid pain versus learning how to deal.
Having a pugnacious spirit and living or avoiding and slowly dying.
Such is life.
Of course there’s a middle, there always is. A happy medium with a not so perfect balance.
It’s a monster maintaining equilibrium. Seeking just enough pleasure and learning how to deal with pain, effectively. In life and in business.
Nothing is easy. Life is difficult enough. Building a successful business on top of that? That’s the motherload.
“Success” is completely subjective, but seeing any worthwhile venture come to fruition means dealing with pain (not ignoring it). Then making sure pleasure-seeking doesn’t dominate – whether it’s constantly dreaming up big things with no work to see them through, or getting distracted with practices that reward the lizard brain.
Keep rediscovering your inner-strength.
Don’t let the pain get to you and realize that pleasure often brings empty rewards.
Deal with your fears, daily.
Don’t lose focus of your big goals.
Enjoy that praise, that beer, those dopamine inducing minutes on social media.
BUT then, know when to STOP.
You’ll be happy. You will be depressed.
You will be pumped-up beyond belief, and then you’ll sink back down again.
You’ll be a creative monster one day, and stare blankly at the screen the next.
Such is life.
Our ship sails along, but the sea is just waiting to swallow us up. Don’t let it.
Avoiding TOUGH gets you nowhere, and the pro’s train never stops, I stole that from Mr. Pressfield.
You? You’re a pro, I know it.
What are you doing today to make “it” happen? If the answer is “nothing” it’s time to get busy.
- My 3 Words For 2015 - January 8, 2015
- Want to Change Your Life? (Let’s Start with 5 Regrets.) - September 3, 2014
- Why the Social Web Needs Thought Leaders - August 6, 2014
- Want to Be a Blog Writing Machine? (Give up on Perfection). - July 30, 2014
- Can Social Media Engagement Kill Your Business? - July 23, 2014
- Your 3 Step Process to Surviving and Thriving the Fickle Realm of Social Media - July 10, 2014
- How Do You Become a Successful Blogger? (4 Answers that Might Surprise You). - June 26, 2014
- The Beautiful, Empty Cup of Blogging - June 11, 2014
- My Breaking Out Mission (and Why I Need Your Help) - May 28, 2014
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset and What it Means to You - May 21, 2014