I was thinking, what’s the point? Of course I’ll get back to that in a couple of days, but like everyone else, it’s extremely difficult to shake what happened last Friday.
As a parent, it’s something that simply won’t leave my mind.
I decided early on that I would avoid politics on this blog. I wouldn’t point fingers, pick sides or jump up on the soapbox.
And today, I’ll stick to that rule, because I don’t want to shout. There will be enough of that in the coming weeks.
Several weeks ago, I wrote a post and included these two thoughts …
17. You can’t categorize people or put them in neat little boxes. This kind of thinking divides us and political networks excel at it.
18. If your only news comes from Fox or MSNBC you’re confused. (See 17).
I stand by those statements.
I don’t think the word “tragedy” can even describe what happened at Sandy Hook, because it’s almost beyond comprehension.
And there will be vitriol coming from both sides, but what about the vast middle? What happens when we go beyond the shouting and enter yet another news cycle?
The gun debate will rage on, but what will be done?
If you’re a parent, I’m sure you had emotions similar to mine: deep sadness followed by extreme anger. But as pragmatic, forward-thinking citizens, what do we do?
While reading several boards this weekend I found more than a few NRA members admitting that now is the time, so this may indeed be a tipping point. And I honestly feel the gun lobby is no match for the collective power of an angry and concerned citizenry.
As forward-thinking citizens in Norway, the UAE, France, Germany, Singapore, Canada, Australia … what would you do?
Here’s what I won’t do:
I won’t watch yet another so-called “news” program where people are shouting over one another. And I refuse to believe this is about the gun-toting redneck vs. the angry urban liberal.
No, it’s about pragmatism and decency and common sense.
You know? Beliefs and actions that usually prevail in the end.
And we need this stuff now more than ever.
- Why the Social Web Needs Thought Leaders - August 6, 2014
- Want to Be a Blog Writing Machine? (Give up on Perfection). - July 30, 2014
- Can Social Media Engagement Kill Your Business? - July 23, 2014
- 4 Big Reasons Why Your Small Business Needs Content Marketing Now - July 15, 2014
- Your 3 Step Process to Surviving and Thriving the Fickle Realm of Social Media - July 10, 2014
- How Do You Become a Successful Blogger? (4 Answers that Might Surprise You). - June 26, 2014
- The Beautiful, Empty Cup of Blogging - June 11, 2014
- Why Small Businesses Hate Content Marketing (and What to Do About It) - June 4, 2014
- My Breaking Out Mission (and Why I Need Your Help) - May 28, 2014
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset and What it Means to You - May 21, 2014