The nontraditional workforce is quickly on the rise and by 2020 or so could quite possibly be the majority of the labor pool, with over 1 billion worldwide.
We are undergoing a paradigm shift of epic proportions and like it or not, you are leading the charge. You, the freelancer, the consultant, the solopreneur … the Soloist.
As a force, we’ll be unstoppable.
But, how will you rule the world?
Well, okay you’re not going to rule anything … but you can do everything in your power to prepare (and rule your own domain).
Think about it.
Even within large companies, the managers who are doing the hiring are probably looking to fill positions that didn’t exist 5-10 years ago.
So, when I say, soloist, I’m not only talking about a sole business owner. No, it’s also about renegades within the corporate world. Individuals in small companies who are trying to grab the ship’s wheel and change course.
So, how in the world do you remain viable in in a world gone digital?
One where you won’t simply change jobs, you’ll change careers, often??
Where project-based work (my world) is the norm and traditional jobs continue to drift off into the either???
And machines are replacing humans?
Well, it’s not only about hard work, experience and a tenacious spirit, although those big fat chunks help immensely.
It’s about how you represent yourself, online … often with this mix: Social media, your web presence and whatever other medium you choose: Video, podcasting, etc.
I’m paraphrasing, but Anthony Bourdain once said “restaurants are the last true meritocracy.” That may have been true when he said it, but exponential changes in technology have changed everything.
It’s a new and exciting world, but you’re on your own like never before. If you want to be successful, there is a crushing pressure on you, the individual to stay on top of crazy advances in our digital realm.
But it need not be soul-crushing, it can be enlightening.
A good recipe? Master a craft, strive to be insanely creative, and work DAILY to position yourself properly in the digital world we now inhabit … whether you’re on your own or within an organization. Choose yourself.
While discussing the Connection Economy, a guy named Seth stated this …
“In 1740 there was zero percent unemployment because there were no jobs. If you worked, you worked for yourself. We are heading there really fast, again. And it’s going to be bumpy and painful along the way. And the question is do you want to get out in front of that?”
The lesson? No one, and I mean NOBODY is going to pick you. Nope! It’s time to pick thyself.
- Can Social Media Engagement Kill Your Business? - July 23, 2014
- 4 Big Reasons Why Your Small Business Needs Content Marketing Now - July 15, 2014
- Your 3 Step Process to Surviving and Thriving the Fickle Realm of Social Media - July 10, 2014
- How Do You Become a Successful Blogger? (4 Answers that Might Surprise You). - June 26, 2014
- The Beautiful, Empty Cup of Blogging - June 11, 2014
- Why Small Businesses Hate Content Marketing (and What to Do About It) - June 4, 2014
- My Breaking Out Mission (and Why I Need Your Help) - May 28, 2014
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset and What it Means to You - May 21, 2014
- Four Content Marketing Lessons from Anthony Bourdain - May 15, 2014
- How I Grew My Business With “Foolish” Old School Tactics (and Why You Should Do the Same) - May 1, 2014